Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Nice to know my flight is in good hands...

Today, as I handed my ticket to the gate agent to board my flight, she asked me if I was ready and willing to help in the case of an emergency because I was in an exit row. I always find this silly but I guess its protocol. Well, you can only imagine how comforting it is to know that this woman is on my flight and has been moved up to the exit row. She is clearly ready to rip off a 65 pound door in the case of an emergency being that she is about 75 years old, walks with a cane, doesn't speak a lick of English, and is coughing like she has a case of the black lung. Thanks American Airlines for looking out for the best interest of your passengers' safety.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a former flight attendant, there is nothing the FA can do. If the person understands the preliminary questions being asked and agrees to help, the FA's are not allowed to discriminate based on age. The only discrimination allowed is a physical handicap that would prevent the person from performing the function. However, if she moved there because she wasn't feeling well and wanted more leg room... well that's another story.

DRD said...

Don't underestimate the elderly. They kick ass if given the chance. You better hope Granny doesn't have your number. You may be doing your restaurant research through a straw.